WELCOME TO OUR Joint WORSHIP SERVICE
September 11, 2016 – 10:00 a.m.
Gathering as God’s People
Call to Worship - As We Gather
Prayer of Invocation
HWB 37 Praise to the Lord Almighty/ Lobe den Herren
STJ 79 As I Went Down to the River to Pray
Our Life Together
Programs & Activities for Fall 2016
Congregational Life and Prayer
Offering - Congregational Song - Ancient Words
Proclaiming God’s Word
Children's Story - Jen
Sermon - "The Story” - Peter Epp (with Shanda Hochstetler)
RESPONDING TO GOD'S WORD
Closing Song - STJ 78 We Will Walk With God
Worship Leading - Marg Rempel
Sermon - Peter Epp and Shanda Hochstetler
Musicians - Val & Ed Peters, Kristy Rempel, Shaun Neufeldt,
Scott Friesen, Rob Sidorchuk
Pianist / Prelude - Kim Sidorchuk
Organist / Postlude - Karen Peters
PRAYER & PRAISE
Please pray for:
s Gord Dyck as he is considering a new chemo treatment
s Charlie Giesbrecht (Heiko & Jessica) in St. Boniface Hosp.
s Ben R. Dyck (Dorothy Fehr) at Bethesda Hospital
s Peter Dyck in Vita Hospital
s George Giesbrecht who is having surgery at St. Boniface on Sept. 20th
s Judy Lafournaise who continues to struggle with health issues
“I’d like to thank the SMC congregation for your prayers during my heart surgery at St. Boniface Hospital. I thank God every day for my beating heart.” Irene Sawatzky
CHURCH FAMILY INFORMATION
Today, 3:30 – 5:30 p.m. Special Prayer Gathering in the sanctuary. All are encouraged to come together to pray for SMC.
Mon. Sept. 12, 6:00 p.m. Prayer for Congr. Meeting in MPR
7:00 p.m. Special Congregational Meeting #3 - Members will be invited to answer a question via secret ballot. Do you believe Steinbach Mennonite Church can remain one congregation? You are urged to pray about your response and attend this crucial gathering. Childcare is being offered during the meeting for children aged 1-6. Please call Kendra Friesen to register your child.
Mon. Sept. 12, 6:00 p.m. Gebetstunde für die Gemeindestunde MPR
7:00 p.m. 3. Sonder-Gemeindestunde - Mitglieder werden gebeten werden, eine Frage in einer Geheimwahl zu beantworten. Glaubst du, dass Steinbach Mennonite Church weiter als eine Gemeinde bestehen kann? Alle werden dringend gebeten, über ihre Antwort gebetsvoll nachzudenken und an dieser wichtigen Versammlung teilzunehmen. Kinderbetreuung wird während der Gemeindestunde angeboten für Kinder im Alter von 1-6. Bitte rufe Kendra Friesen an um Ihr Kind zu registrieren.
We pray a prayer a blessing for each of the following as they connect with their new church homes:
Rambert & Krista Bergen who are moving back to Paraguay.
Ronald & Dorothea Thiessen who moved back to Paraguay.
Harry & Sieglinde Wiens who moved back to Paraguay.
Gym Comm. Contact: Isbrand Fehr
Volunteer Driver Contact: Erdman & Eva Penner
SMC THIS WEEK
Today, 2:00 – 4:00 p.m. Family Volleyball
Mon. Sept. 12, NO Men’s Volleyball
Tues. Sept. 13, 7:00 p.m. Women’s Volleyball
7:00 p.m. Vision Council Meeting (regular)
Wed. Sept. 14, 7:00 p.m. Clubs & Jr. Youth Kickoff
1:15 p.m. Arkbuilders meet in church parking lot to go to the Manitoba Electric Museum. Tour is booked for 2:30 p.m., followed by supper at Pony Corral. Please confirm with Mary Martens.
Thurs. Sept. 15, 7:30 p.m. Sr. Youth Kickoff
Sat. Sept. 10, 8:30 a.m. Sunbeams Birthday Breakfast at Smitty’s
Sept. 18, Sunday School for all ages begins at 9:45 a.m.
Sept. 18 & 25, Daryl Climenhaga speaking in the English Worship Services
Sept. 19, 6:30 p.m. Handbelles practice in kitchenette
Sept. 20, 6:00 p.m. Sunbeams in kitchenette. Please bring a salad. All ladies welcome. Introducing Faith Travels by Marlene Kropf.
Sept. 04 - 10, 2016 - Our Giving: $8,890.05
Financial Update Aug. 31
We have our payments for insurance, taxes and quarterly payments for the conferences and organizations coming due this month.
Conference Prayer Requests
Pray for Marla & Karl Langelotz as they begin a 9 month ministry assignment in Germany. Pray that Friedenshaus will help nurture a Christ-like community of support and fellowship between refugees and others in Ludwigshafen.
COMMUNITY & CONFERENCE EVENTS
Our children are so blessed to be able to have Discovery Time in our schools. This class runs weekly from Oct.to April and is taught by people like you! We currently have opportunities open in several schools. Call Laura at 1-204-663-3300 to register for Sept.13 orientation. www.cefmanitoba.org
Sept. 16, 7:30 p.m. Night of Worship at the E Free Church
Feb. 17 & 18, Join the E Free Church and Danny Plett for Project Worship. Visit projectworship.ca to sign up for the choir.
Sunday School Teacher/Helper Meeting is TODAY, September 11, in the kitchenette after the service. Please grab your lunch from the gym and bring your food to the meeting.
Sunday School will start on September 18! We are still in need of teachers and helpers for various classes. If God is nudging you to help out in this way PLEASE talk to Jennifer Janzen. We NEED YOU to make our SS program run smoothly.
Boys and Girls Club will start on Wednesday, September 14 from 7:00-8:15pm! This is open to ALL kids in Grade 2-6. Everyone is welcome! Please invite your friends!!
Jr. Youth 2016 Kickoff is on Wed. Sept. 14th upstairs in the youth room and goes from 7:00-8:30 p.m.
- Led by Heiko Giesbrecht & Stefan Neufeld. Sponsors are Adrian & Rosana Neufeld, Taylan Schroeder, and Patricia Funk
- S.S. Teachers are Stefan Neufeld & Heiko Giesbrecht
Sr. Youth 2016 Kickoff is on Wed. Sept 15th upstairs in the youth room and goes from 7:30-9:30 p.m.
- Leader is Heiko Giesbrecht. Sponsors are Trevor Harder, Ashley Reimer, Bryan Giesbrecht, Sheldon Hildebrandt
- S.S. Teacher is Heiko Giesbrecht
If you are interested in helping out as a Sponsor for either Jr. or Sr. Youth please contact Pastor Heiko. We are still in need of 1 Male and 3 Female sponsors.
SMC College & Career/Young Adult Ministries
We have several groups that will continue to meet. If you are graduated to age 30 and would like to join a small group or bible study group please contact Pastor Heiko. The options for you are to either join an already established group; of if you have friends you want to start a new group with, we would be more than happy to help make that happen. For more info on existing groups please call or email Pastor Heiko at email@example.com.
For the extended version of our bulletin visit www.steinbachmennonite.ca
Multimedia email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Sound Technician (P.A.) email address: email@example.com
Please send all material/requests by Thursday 5:00 p.m.
SMC VISION STATEMENT
Steinbach Mennonite Church is faithfully following Christ in worship and service by making disciples, building community and reaching out to the world.
LEARN ABOUT a remote Mexican village and the work of Atzin Mexico, with Dr. Susan Smith, Mexican artist Alejandro Aranda and Indigenous weavers, Monday, Sept 12, 7PM, MHC Gallery, 600 Shaftesbury Blvd.
Mennonite Heritage Centre Gallery ANNUAL FUNDRAISER, Friday, Sept 30, 7:30PM. RSVP to Connie Wiebe, 204 888 6781, ext 194 or firstname.lastname@example.org
MC Canada Bulletin Announcements for Sunday, September 11, 2016:
· Join us as we Ride for Refuge! The Mennonite Church Canada website has many resources to help you participate. Check out http://home.mennonitechurch.ca/r4r2016 for a video, bulletin inserts and more. Use your feet to support any Mennonite Church Canada’s International workers or ministries on Oct. 1!
· Learn about the role of environmental history as it relates to Mennonites in a two-day conference held by the University of Winnipeg: Mennonites, Land and the Environment: A Global History Conference, October 28-29. Admission is free. For more information check out: http://mennonitestudies.uwinnipeg.ca/events/land_and_environ_2016/program.php
· Mennonite Church Canada is looking for a talented, experienced change management/organization development specialist to work alongside the dedicated team of lead personnel from area and national levels of the church body in transforming the directions recommended in the FDTF Final Report and Addendum into an implementation plan. See the Mennonite Church Canada Website to learn more about this position or to apply: http://home.mennonitechurch.ca/node/1461
· Job Opening: Mennonite Church Canada (Wpg. office) is seeking a full time, term Executive Assistant starting as soon as possible until December 31, 2016 (with possibility of 1 year extension). See http://home.mennonitechurch.ca/jobs for details. Review of resumes begins immediately. Recruitment continues until the position is filled.
Canadian Mennonite University Events and Opportunities for Church Bulletins
1. As a new school year begins, please pray that CMU’s students and professors would be graced with wisdom and understanding in their study and teaching.
2. Face2Face: Journey to Renewed Covenants
Join us for the Manitoba Screening of ‘Reserve 107’ a documentary short film, with Brad Leitch (Director), followed by audience conversation with film participants. Understand experiences of Mennonites and the Young Chippewayan First Nation in Laird, Saskatchewan as we explore the meaning, relevance and power that Treaties signed over 100 years ago still have today. In a time of ‘truth and reconciliation’, consider how opportunities for renewed understanding, humility and respect might lead us to new covenants and mutual healing. Friday, September 23, 7:30-9:00 PM at Marpeck Commons. For more information see cmu.ca/face2face.
3. Making it Home: Learning Anew to Build Community - An evening of Story-telling, Dessert and Song in Support of CMU. Communities in southern Manitoba and church schools like CMU are creating and building “home” for refugees, new Canadians, and Canadians of many backgrounds. How can we walk together and learn from one another through the challenges and opportunities in this process? Join us for an evening of stories, reflections and music by community leaders and CMU faculty and students on Friday, October 14 from 7:00-9:00 PM at South Park Mennonite Brethren Church, Altona. For more information or to confirm attendance contact Joyce Friesen at email@example.com
4. Fall Festival / CMU Shaftesbury Campus / September 23-24. Come celebrate with us during CMU's annual Fall Festival! Events include a Farmers Market, MennoCross cycle race, Alumni reunions, folkfest, Opening Program, and more. For more information see cmu.ca/fallfestival.
5. Register now for Take and Read: A Theological Book Discussion Group, led by Dr. Paul Doerksen, Associate Professor of Theology and Anabaptist Studies at CMU. This year’s theme is The Objects of Our Love: The Shaping Power of Attention. Space is limited to 30 participants—more information and registration at cmu.ca/takeandread.
6. Book launch: Inner Peace Through Conflict Transformation. You are invited to the launch of this new book by Menno Simons College Professor of Conflict Resolution Studies Dr. Paul Redekop on September 14 at 7:00 PM, McNally Robinson Booksellers, 1120 Grant Avenue, Winnipeg. For more information see cmu.ca in the calendar section.
7. Xplore: Keep Thinking: CMU Χplore offers courses that investigate dimensions of the Christian faith, our world, and life in it. Classes run on Thursday mornings for 6 weeks, beginning October 6, and are held at Emmanuel Mennonite Church in Winkler. Courses include1 Corinthians with Michael Pahl (Lead Pastor, Morden Mennonite Church). For further information see cmu.ca/xplore.
8. Canadian Mennonite University invites inquiries and applications for the following full-time salaried positions: Vice President Academic & Academic Dean, Faculty Position in Business & Organizational Administration, Director of Information Technology, and Financial Analyst. Nominations, applications, or inquiries may be directed to Dianna Robson, Director of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org 204-594-0532.
This week's MCC Manitoba bulletin announcements include:
Brandon MCC Relief Sale - Join us on Saturday, September 24 for the 32nd Annual Brandon MCC Relief Sale at the Keystone Centre. For more information visit http://mccmb.ca/brandon-relief-sale and save the date!
Manitoba Student Awards - Apply by September 30 if you're interested in work that aligns with MCC Manitoba’s areas of focus (like peace, restorative justice, human rights, servant leadership, and sustainable development). For more information and to apply, visit http://mccmb.ca/studentawards
Ø Mennonite Church Manitoba
· This fall we are pleased to welcome several pastors to new roles in MCM. The following congregations will celebrate new pastoral relationships and we invite all of you to pray for God’s guidance and blessing on these transitions.
o Bryce Miller – Jubilee Mennonite, installation September 11
o Rafael Duerksen – Springfield Heights Mennonite Church, installation September 18
o Terrell and Janna Wiebe – Gretna Bergthaler Mennonite Church, installation September 25
o Josef Estabrookes – Fort Garry Mennonite Fellowship, installation October 2
o Clare Schellenberg – Hope Mennonite Church, installation October 2
Ø CALLING ALL RETIRED PASTORS & SPOUSES, WIDOWS, AND LAY LEADERS OF MCM CONGREGATIONS! Thursday, October 13 from 9:00 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. Lunch will be included as well as opportunity to experience the beautiful space of Camp Assiniboia. More information is available at the church office or by calling Delmer/Elsie Epp @ 204-253-3752. Register before September 30 at $15/person at http://www.mennochurch.mb.ca/
Ø Camp Assiniboia New Cabins!
We are building four beautiful new year round cabins and could use some help with finishing. To volunteer please contact either Pete Enns 204 451 0867, email@example.com or David Hogue 204 864 2159 ext. 100 or firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
Ø Camp Koinonia 50th Anniversary Celebration. Join us October 2, 2016 at Camp Koinonia. Coffee and activities starting at 1:30; Cauldron Chilli Dinner at 5:30; Program and Birthday Cake at 6:30. Contact Laura or Sheldon Dyck for more info: 204-534-7766 or email@example.com.
Ø HOLD THE DATE: Mennonite Church Manitoba Camps with Meaning will be hosting the annual Fundraising Celebration Banquets on: Saturday, October 29, 5:30 pm at Emmanuel Mennonite Church in Winkler; and on Sunday, October 30, 5:30 pm at Douglas Mennonite Church in Winnipeg. We invite you to attend as a participant, host or sponsor of a table. For reservations call the camp office at (204) 895-2267 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Participants will be invited to share in a free will offering. Join us for an evening of fellowship, music, camp ministry highlights and great food!
PLEASE ADD THE FOLLOWING FOR September 11 and 18th bulletins:
Children’s Ministry Leader/Pastor – Douglas Mennonite Church (www.douglasmc.ca), a thriving mid-sized congregation in suburban Winnipeg, is currently seeking a Children’s Ministry Leader/Pastor. This is a half-time position commencing in late-2016 or early January 2017. Applicants are invited to submit their confidential expressions of interest to, or request further information from, Fred Loewen (Search Committee Chair, Douglas Mennonite Church) or Rick Neufeld (Director of Leadership Ministries, Mennonite Church Manitoba) at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org Deadline for applications is September 30th.