WELCOME TO OUR WORSHIP SERVICE
Sunday, April 30, 2017 – 10:45 a.m.
GATHERING AS GOD'S PEOPLE
STJ 16 Praise with joy the world’s Creator
You are my all in all
OUR LIFE TOGETHER
Congregational Life and Prayer
Appreciation for our custodians, Peter & Erna Schroeder
Offering – Speak oh Lord
PROCLAIMING GOD’S WORD
Scripture Reading ~ Acts 11:1-18
Sermon ~ “Signposts on the Journey”
RESPONDING TO GOD'S WORD
Closing Song ~ HWB 323 Beyond a dying sun
Worship Leader ~ Alvie Martens
Sermon ~ Phil Campbell-Enns, Pastor of Youth and Young Adults at Bethel Mennonite Church
Children's Story ~ Jac Siemens
Song Leaders/Offertory ~ Val & Ed Peters, Lavina Thiessen, Bev Unger
Organist/Pianist/Prelude/Postlude ~ Karen Peters
Sound ~ Jim Martens
Sun. May 7, 1:00 p.m. Congregational Meeting - After gathering for a potluck lunch (finger food) following our worship service, we will meet in the foyer. The agenda contains three items: draft organisational chart presentation (including a vote for a trial period to begin in September), discussion regarding children's/youth programming for fall and an important pastoral search update.
PRAYER & PRAISE
Please pray for:
· Hildegard Adrian, Anne Kasdorf and Jacob P. Siemens in Bethesda Hospital
· Peter Toews who is travelling to Paraguay
· Randy & Leona Hildebrand as Randy begins his ministry at Springstein Mennonite Church May 1st. Randy’s Installation will be next Sunday, May 7th at 10:30 a.m.
Our sympathies and prayers go to Jacob P. Siemens and family on the death of his sister, Nettie Brown, on April 13th.
If you have a prayer request please contact our Prayer Chain coordinator Anne E. Froese, firstname.lastname@example.org.
CHURCH FAMILY INFORMATION
During the month of May we will have a “coin offering” each Sunday in support of our Abundant Harvest Community Growing Project, (goes into the account of MCC at the Canadian Foodgrains Bank).
If you are interested in the story of Michael Sharp, a current story of a man killed because of his love for Jesus and his desire to build peace in a violent part of this world, there is a letter about his journey on the bulletin board in the foyer.
Gym Comm. Contact: Isbrand Fehr 204-392-5831
SMC THIS WEEK
Today, 2:00 – 4:00 p.m. Family Volleyball
Mon. May 1, 6:45 p.m. Men’s Volleyball
Tues. May 2, 7:00 p.m. Women’s Volleyball
Sat. May 6, 7:45 a.m. Men's Prayer Breakfast at Uncle Jake's Restaurant.
Speaker: Henry Dueck, M.C.: Homer Janzen. Come and bring a friend!
8:30 a.m. Sunbeams Birthday Breakfast at Smitty’s
Sat. May 6, 9:00 a.m. Pick Up & Walk registration deadline is April 23. Sign up at the Welcome Centre. For more info call Dave Funk, 204-371-7667.
May 9, 7:00 p.m. Vision Council Meeting in MPR
June 4, SMC Annual Golf Tournament. For more info contact Elmer Kehler.
April 23 - 30, 2017 – Our giving:
Budget: $ 6,087.00 Refugee: $1,850.00
CONFERENCE PRAYER REQUESTS
Pray for Mennonite Church Canada congregations and leaders as they relate to their Indigenous neighbours. May all peoples, together, release old patterns of relationship and behaviour and find new and life-giving ways to connect. **********
CONFERENCE AND COMMUNITY EVENTS
Camps with Meaning is in significant need of health officer (RN, LPN, EMR/EMT, MD) volunteers for this summer! Please contact the camp office at email@example.com or (204) 895-2267 if you or someone you know may be able to help!
Join the Faith and Life Male Choir and Women’s Chorus at their Spring Concert April 30, 3:00pm, Morden Mennonite Church, 363 Gilmour St, Morden. A freewill offering will be received.
May 7, 7:00 p.m. Eastman Male Choir Spring Concert at Grace Mennonite Church. See poster for details.
May 14, 7:00 p.m. Generation Rising presents Double Portion concert at SMC. See poster for details.
May 26 & 27, MCC SpringFest at 134 Plaza Drive, Wpg. Join us for our annual SpringFest including a quilt and craft sale, plant sale and BBQ lunch—all raising funds to support MCC's work with the Women's Empowerment Program in South Sudan. More details are available at http://mccmb.ca/springfest or by calling 204-261-6381.
June 8, 7:00 p.m. MCC Annual General Meeting at Emmanuel Mennonite Church (750 15th St. Winkler) Agenda posted on the bulletin board.
Mennonite Collegiate Institute (Gretna) invites applicants for the following term positions available for the 2017-2018 school year: ½ time Art teacher, ¼ time Dance instruction. Contact Cheryl Braun at firstname.lastname@example.org or MCI @ 204-327-5891.for more info.
SMC VISION STATEMENT
Steinbach Mennonite Church is faithfully following Christ in worship and service by making disciples, building community and reaching out to the world.
Mennonite Collegiate Institute (Gretna) invites applicants for the following term positions available for the 2017-2018 school year: ½ time Art teacher, ¼ time Dance instruction. Ability to contribute to co-curricular programmes, including our musical theatre production, is an asset. Please send resume and cover letter to Cheryl Braun at email@example.com or Box 250 Gretna, R0G 0V0, due date May 15. For more information call MCI @ 204-327-5891.
MC Canada Bulletin Announcements for Sunday – April 30, 2017
· Today the Pilgrimage for Indigenous Rights starts the day at First Baptist Church, Oshawa, ON. To follow their progress, check out Facebook at www.facebook.com/pfirCanada/.
Thank you for your prayers and support.
· Citizens for Public Justice is an organization inspired by faith to act for public justice. CPJ is inviting churches to contribute to the government of Canada’s consultations on its Poverty Reduction Strategy via an easy-to-use online form via cpj.ca/cprs.
· Is harming creation compatible with Christian faith? Is a fossil fuel economy sustainable in a time of climate change? These questions will be tackled during a May 15-17 event, “Called to Peacemaking with All Creation,” hosted at Holyrood MC in Edmonton. Visit http://www.mennonitechurch.ab.ca/ for details.
· Future Directions: Check out a progress report and a link to a survey about international Witness ministry at http://www.futuredirectionsmc.ca. All are welcome to participate in the survey!
· Emerging Voices Initiative needs your help to send youth delegates to the special Mennonite Church Assembly Oct. 13-15. Donate today to help youth delegates attend Assembly 2017. https://donate.mennonitechurch.ca/project/EVI-Youth2017
· Featured prayer request from the wider church (to receive regular prayer requests, subscribe to PrayerNet at: www.commonword.ca/ResourceView/59/7507):
· Pray for Mennonite Church Canada congregations and leaders as they relate to their Indigenous neighbours. May all peoples, together, release old patterns of relationship and behaviour and find new and life-giving ways to connect.
MC Manitoba Church Bulletin Announcements
· Join the Faith and Life Male Choir and Women’s Chorus at their Spring Concerts: April 29, 7:00pm, Sargent Ave. Mennonite Church. 926 Garfield St, Winnipeg; or, April 30, 3:00pm, Morden Mennonite Church, 363 Gilmour St, Morden. A freewill offering will be received.
· Camps with Meaning is in significant need of health officer (RN, LPN, EMR/EMT, MD) volunteers for this summer! Please contact the camp office at firstname.lastname@example.org or (204) 895-2267 if you or someone you know may be able to help!
· On Sunday, May 7th, the Eastman Male Choir will present a spring concert with the brilliant a capella women's group, Accent. 7pm at Grace Mennonite Church in Steinbach. All proceeds will support Mennonite Central Committee.
· Sie sind herzlich eingeladen am Sonntagmorgen um 7.30 Uhr (CFAM / CHSM / CJRB) Frohe Botschaft einzuschalten, eine Sendung die von Mennonite Church Manitoba produziert wird. Im Mai bringt Prediger Paulhans Funk aus der North Kildonan Mennoniten Brüder Gemeinde eine Predigtserie.
· Please join us for Frohe Botschaft, a German language worship service produced by Mennonite Church Manitoba and broadcast on Sunday morning at 7:30 on CFAM / CHSM / CJRB. The speaker in May is Pastor Paulhans Funk from the North Kildonan Mennonite Brethren Church.
MCC Manitoba Bulletin Announcements for April 30, 2017
Eastman Male Choir Spring Concert
May 7, 2017, 7 pm, 430 Third Street, Steinbach
You are invited to the Eastman Male Choir's spring concert at Grace Mennonite Church in Steinbach. The concert will feature contemporary women's chorus Accent as special guests as well as guest speaker MCC Manitoba Executive Director Darryl Loewen. A freewill offering will support the work of MCC. Visit http://mccmb.ca/eastman-choir-concert for more information.
MCC Haiti learning tour opportunity - Join us for a trip to this fascinating country while learning about MCC's work in hurricane/earthquake response, agro forestry, reforestation and more. Tour dates are from January 23-30, 2018. There will be an information meeting held at the MCC office at 134 Plaza Drive on May 15 starting at 7pm.
May 26 & 27, 2017
134 Plaza Drive, Winnipeg
Join us for our annual SpringFest including a quilt and craft sale, plant sale and BBQ lunch—all raising funds to support MCC's work with the Women's Empowerment Program in South Sudan. More details are available at http://mccmb.ca/springfest or by calling 204-261-6381.
Ten Thousand Villages Brandon location welcomes applications for Store Manager - For more information about this position, visit http://tenthousandvillages.ca. To apply, please submit your resume to email@example.com by May 13.
Hosts needed - MCC is seeking host families for two male participants in IVEP (International Volunteer Exchange Program) for an 11 month period beginning in September. Host families are needed in the Fort Garry and Central Winnipeg areas and/or neighbourhoods with good access to bus routes. For more information, visit http://mccmb.ca/ivep and contact Katie Froese at 204-925-1929 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Canadian Mennonite University
Consider enrolling in a one-week, spring course through CMU’s Graduate School of Theology and Ministry or Canadian School of Peacebuilding. Among others, course options include Sustainable Business Models, Stewardship, Innovation and Social entrepreneurship; Human Rights and Indigenous Legal Traditions, and Practices for Transforming the Peacebuilder. Details at cmu.ca/gradcourses or cmu.ca/csop.
2. Online registration is now open for CMU Blazers Summer Sports Camps 2017!
· August 8-11: Junior (grades 4-6) multisport camp
· August 14-18: Youth (grades 8-10) volleyball and basketball camps
· August 21-25: Junior High (grades 6-8) volleyball and basketball camps
3. CommonWord Bookstore and Resource Centre presents an afternoon with Palmer Becker, pastor, author and educator, Friday May 5, 3:00-4:00 PM at Marpeck Commons, Canadian Mennonite University. Becker will be launching his new book Anabaptist Essentials published by Herald Press. Explore the core values of Jesus, community and reconciliation in this concise guide on Anabaptist faith and life. For more information go to www.commonword.ca/go/1129.
4. Canadian Mennonite University invites inquiries and applications for the following full-time salaried positions:
· Administrative Coordinator, MSC
· Maintenance Technician 2
Applications should be submitted immediately and will be reviewed upon receipt and accepted until this position is filled. Inquiries should be directed to Dianna Robson, Director of Human Resources at email@example.com or 204-594-0532. Thank you.