WELCOME TO OUR WORSHIP SERVICE
Sunday, May 21, 2017 – 10:45 a.m.
GATHERING AS GOD'S PEOPLE
HWB 76 Praise, I will praise you Lord
HWB 46 I sing the might power of God
HWB 311 The church’s one foundation
OUR LIFE TOGETHER
Congregational Life and Prayer
Quartet STJ 14 Lord Jesus, you shall be my song
Offering, including Coin Offering
Congregational Song STJ 40 As rain from the clouds
PROCLAIMING GOD’S WORD
Scripture Reading: Acts 15:1-13, 19-21
Sermon: “The First Church Blows Up”
RESPONDING TO GOD'S WORD
Closing Song HWB 420 Heart with loving heart united
Worship Leader ~ Bev Unger
Sermon ~ Daryl Climenhaga
Children's Story ~ Jac Siemens
Song Leaders ~ Henriette & Rudy Schellenberg, Marie Rempel, Gerry Sapinsky
Pianist ~ Margarete Dyck
Organist ~ Margarete Dyck
Sound ~ Mark Hildebrandt
May 14 - 20, 2017 – Our giving:
Budget: $ 9,154.00 Refugee: $100.00 MCC: $100.00 MC Manitoba: $100.00
Coin collection on May 7: $350.30 Total: $509.30
PRAYER & PRAISE
Please pray for:
· Hildegard Adrian in Bethesda Hospital
· Pray for our Missionaries:
Ryan Dueck – Winnipeg
Rachel Klassen – Germany
Fredy & Rowena Hiebert – Bolivia
God’s blessing on Agnes Ketler who will celebrate her birthday on May 26th.
“Thank you for your prayers, visits, phone calls, cards and support during the years John was struggling with his health. We as family are deeply grateful for SMC and those that assisted with the funeral and the lunch. May God bless and reward you. I ask you for your continued prayers, visits and phone calls. With Christian love, Eleanor Kathler and family.”
CHURCH FAMILY INFORMATION
During the month of May we will have a “coin offering” each Sunday in support of our Abundant Harvest Community Growing Project, (goes into the account of MCC at the Canadian Foodgrains Bank).
We pray a blessing for Peter & Erna Schroeder as we honour their request to be released from their membership at SMC.
May 28, Refugee Committee Borschtfest Fundraiser following the worship service. Proceeds will go toward the Refugee Fund with any additional funds raised to go to MCC's refugee work. Visit with the Mulamba family, and learn some of their story! Please sign up at the Welcome Centre to help us plan with food preparation. We hope to see you all there!
Summer Worship Schedule: During June – Aug. our worship services will start at 10:45 a.m. followed by a finger food potluck lunch.
Gym Comm. Contact: Isbrand Fehr
9:30 a.m. SUNDAY SCHOOL for all ages
There will no Sunday School in June, July & August.
Preschool (Age 2–Kindergarten) – Room 106 School-Age – Upstairs
Adult Sunday School course: On May 21 and 28 the Rebuild SMC Task Force will lead a discussion regarding the future of SMC (including the organisational chart). We will gather in the sanctuary; other adult classes will not be meeting separately.
SMC THIS WEEK
Today, 2:00 – 4:00 p.m. Family Volleyball
Mon. May 22, 6:45 p.m. Men’s Volleyball
Tues. May 23, 7:00 p.m. Women’s Volleyball
Sat. May 27, 7:00 p.m. Arkbuilders invite Friendship Seekers and others to join us in the kitchenette for a presentation by internationally-recognized photographer Dennis Fast entitled “Morning has Broken”.
May 28, The Eastman Choir will be singing in our worship service.
May 29, 7:00 p.m. SMC 75th Anniversary Celebration Committee Meeting in MPR
May 31, 7:30 p.m. Manigotagan Planning Meeting in the youth room.
June 3, 7:45 a.m. Men’s Prayer Breakfast at Uncle Jake’s
Speaker: Daryl Climenhaga MC: Otto Loeppky
June 4, SMC Annual Golf Tournament. Sign-up sheet at Welcome Centre.
CONFERENCE AND COMMUNITY EVENTS
May 26 & 27, MCC SpringFest at 134 Plaza Drive, Wpg. including a quilt and craft sale, plant sale and BBQ lunch. See poster for details.
June 8, 7:00 p.m. MCC Annual General Meeting at Emmanuel Mennonite Church (750 15th St. Winkler) Agenda posted on the bulletin board.
SMC VISION STATEMENT
Steinbach Mennonite Church is faithfully following Christ in worship and service by making disciples, building community and reaching out to the world.
Waiting for Waldemar, directed by Albertan filmmaker Eric Spoeth, will make its Manitoba premiere in Winnipeg on Thursday, May 25th and Friday, May 26th at the German Society of Winnipeg (121 Charles Street ). Show times will be 4 PM and 7 PM, on both dates. If the demand is high, we will accommodate additional showings.
MC Canada Bulletin Announcements for Sunday – May 21, 2017
· The Intotemak trilogy in response to the Truth and Reconcilation Commission is now complete, along with 3 studies to help churches engage the process of reconciliation between Settler and Indigenous peoples. Copies of Wrongs to Rights, Yours, Mine, Ours and Quest for Respect can be borrowed or purchased – for individual reading or group study. www.commonword.ca/go/1204.
· Emerging Voices Initiative (EVI) invites your enthusiastic support to help youth delegates attend the Special Mennonite Church Assembly Oct. 13-15. Show your support with a donation via https://donate.mennonitechurch.ca/project/EVI-Youth2017
· Featured prayer request from the wider church (to receive regular prayer requests, subscribe to PrayerNet at: www.commonword.ca/ResourceView/59/7507):
· On April 30, 2017, Paul and Vila Phomsouvanh of Trinity Mennonite Church, Calgary, returned from leading a Christian Discipleship seminar in Maliwan Mennonite Church with Mennonite Church Canada long-term workers Tom and Christine Poovong. Pray that seminar participants will continue to grow as disciples and live out what they learned in their local communities. May the Phomsouvanhs have many opportunities to share about their experience with life and faith in Maliwan.
Canadian Mennonite University
1. Consider a gap year after high school full of discipleship, adventure, learning, service, travel and friendship with Outtatown. Act now while spaces are available for 2017-2018! Visit outtatown.com to learn more and apply.
2. Dinner with Ted 4, featuring Ted’s famous chicken fingers and fries, for all CMU alumni! Friday, June 2, 5:00 – 7:00 PM. Gluten-free chicken fingers and vegetarian options available. Admission by paying it forward to the CMU Alumni Bursary Fund (donations matched by a Manitoba government student bursary initiative). RSVP on the Facebook event page or email Aaron Epp (firstname.lastname@example.org).
3. You are invited to join us for the 16th Annual CMU Golf Classic, Tuesday, June 20 at the Kingswood Golf and Country Club in La Salle, MB. Reservations are limited so rsvp early by calling Joyce Friesen 204-594-0517.
4. Enrol in spring courses through CMU’s Canadian School of Peacebuilding. Details at cmu.ca/csop.
Camps with Meaning is in significant need of health officer (RN, LPN, EMR/EMT, MD) volunteers for this summer! Please contact the camp office at email@example.com or (204) 895-2267 if you or someone you know may be able to help!
MCC Manitoba Bulletin Announcements for May 21, 2017
May 26 & 27, 2017, 134 Plaza Drive, Winnipeg
Join us for our annual SpringFest including a quilt and craft sale, plant sale and BBQ lunch—all raising funds to support MCC's work with the Women's Empowerment Program in South Sudan. More details are available at http://mccmb.ca/springfest or by calling 204-261-6381.
MCC Manitoba Annual General Meeting - MCC Manitoba's AGM will be held on Thursday, June 8, 7 pm at Emmanuel Mennonite Church in Winkler. Join us to hear about developments in our program work and plans as well as a keynote address and personal reflection on trauma and resilience in migration. Member congregations may appoint one voting delegate per every 50 members but anyone is invited to attend. For more information and to register delegates, visit http://mccmb.ca/agm or contact Nikki Hamm at 204-261-6381 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Please register delegates by June 2.
Cycle Clear Lake - Calling all cyclists! Come out to Riding Mountain National Park for a beautiful trail ride in support of MCC’s education work in Haiti on Saturday, July 1. Registration deadline is June 13. For more information and to register online visit http://mccmb.ca/cycleclearlake or phone Reinhold at 204-729-8335.
MCC Canada welcomes applications for Communications and Donor Relations Department Assistant based in Winnipeg. Applications are accepted until May 29. For more information and to apply, please visit http://mcccanada.ca/get-involved/serve/openings/communications-donor-relations-department-assistant-0.