WELCOME TO OUR WORSHIP SERVICE
Pentecost Sunday, June 4, 2017 – 10:45 a.m.
GATHERING AS GOD'S PEOPLE
Call to worship and prayer
STJ 15 Santo (Holy)
STJ 19 I will call upon the Lord
OUR LIFE TOGETHER
Introduction of pastoral candidate: Lee and Rachel Hiebert
Offertory: Circle of God’s People
PROCLAIMING GOD'S WORD
Congregational song: HWB 299 New Earth, Heaven’s New
Scripture reading: Acts 2:1-21 and Psalm 104:24-34
Sermon ~ “The Time is Now”
RESPONDING TO GOD'S WORD
Closing song: God’s people
Worship leader ~ Victor Kliewer
Sermon ~ Lee Hiebert
Children's feature ~ Rachel Hiebert
Song leaders ~ Scott & Kendra Friesen, Kayla & Toni Hiebert
Pianist ~ Toni Hiebert
Organist ~ Karen Peters
Sound ~ Jim Martens
This morning we offer a special welcome to Lee & Rachel Hiebert from Winnipeg/Elkhart IN. Our Pastoral Search Committee has been in conversation with Lee about becoming our next pastor, and Lee & Rachel are here this weekend so that we can get better acquainted with each other. They already met yesterday with members of our Search Committee, Vision Council, and deacons. Besides being in today’s Sunday school hour and worship service, Rachel & Lee will be joining us for a potluck lunch and an opportunity to meet other members of our congregation.
Tonight , 7:00 p.m. Congregational Meeting - We will meet in the sanctuary to vote on the Lead Pastor candidate (Lee Hiebert) and to receive details of Vision Council's decision in response to a request from Steinbach Community Outreach for additional space. This ministry will occupy the majority of SMC's second floor in exchange for cost recovery.
PRAYER & PRAISE
Please pray for:
· Hildegard Adrian in Bethesda Hospital
· Peter Dyck, Agnes Nikkel, Tina Nikkel, Jessie Peters, Frieda Wallman, Helen Warkentin, Anne Unger (Bethesda Place), Agnes Ketler (Niverville), Justina Rempel, (Maplewood)
Our sympathies and prayers go to Dorothy Dyck and family on the death of her husband, Ben R. Dyck, on May 26th.
In Memorium: We remember Henry Peters who passed away a year ago on June 7th. Pray for God’s comfort and peace to the family and friends these days.
Congratulations to Hans & Elma Schroeder who will celebrate their 25th anniversary June 6th. We wish you God’s blessing and many more years together.
CHURCH FAMILY INFORMATION
Correction: Last Sunday the member transfer list in the bulletin should have included Kim and Rob Sidorchuk; our apologies for the oversight, we do pray God’s blessing for both of them as they join Grace MC.
The Refugee Committee would like to express appreciation to all participants of our fundraising lunch last Sunday. The lunch and fellowship time were enjoyable, we got to know the Mulamba family better, and donations of $4020.00 were received.
We pray a blessing for Sabine Neufeld as we honour her request to be released from her membership at SMC.
During the summer months, June, July and August, there will be no Sunday school. Worship services will start at 10:45 a.m., followed by a finger food potluck lunch.
During the month of May our children collected coins (and bills) for our Abundant Harvest Community Growing Project. Our aim was $500, but by the end of the month we had a total of $1,046.53 plus an extra cheque for $1,000.00. Thanks to everyone for your generosity!
Gym Comm. Contact: Isbrand Fehr
SMC THIS WEEK
Today, 2:00 – 4:00 p.m. Family Volleyball
SMC Annual Golf Tournament. Sign-up sheet at Welcome Centre.
7:00 p.m. Congregational Meeting
Mon. June 5, 6:45 p.m. Men’s Volleyball
Tues. June 6, 7:00 p.m. Women’s Volleyball
June 11, SMC Church Picnic. See insert for details.
June 13, 7:00 p.m. Vision Council Meeting in MPR
June 18, 10:30 a.m. All are invited to join Worship in the City at the main stage. See poster for details. There will be no service at SMC.
June 25, 10:45 a.m. The First Mennonite Church, Winnipeg, will be joining our worship service. Potluck lunch to follow.
May 21 – 31, 2017 – Our giving:
Budget: $ 14,213 Refugee: $4,020 MC Canada: $200 MC Manitoba: $100
Coin collection on May 28: $284.88 + $1,000 cheque Total: $2,046.53
CONFERENCE AND COMMUNITY EVENTS
June 8, 7:00 p.m. MCC Manitoba Annual General meeting at Emmanuel Mennonite Church (750 15th St., Winkler). See the agenda on the bulletin board. We can send 3 delegates from SMC—please contact the office if you are interested.
See you at the
Steinbach Mennonite Church Picnic!
When? 10:45 a.m. Sunday, June 11, 2017
No services at SMC that day
Where? At Mitchell Park (Rain or Shine)
Two blocks north of Hwy #52 on Ash St.
What? Worship, Lunch & Activities
Worship – Bring your lawn chairs.
Lunch ~ Finger food Potluck lunch. Please bring enough for your family and a little extra.
Activities ~ Games and time to visit after lunch
Why? Fellowship, Friends & Fun
Come and enjoy a wonderful worship service in the outdoors, and get to know your church family in new ways.
SMC VISION STATEMENT
Steinbach Mennonite Church is faithfully following Christ in worship and service by making disciples, building community and reaching out to the world.
MC Canada Bulletin Announcements for Sunday – June 4, 2017
- For Adult Christian Education this fall: MC Canada's Palestine-Israel resolution working group invites congregations to study "Pathways for Peace and Justice in Palestine and Israel” by Palmer Becker with input from Palestinian-Christian and Jewish consultants. The four session study with discussion questions offers historical background and rationale for the resolution passed last July. See http://www.commonword.ca/go/1032.
- Assembly Registration is open! You are invited to register for the October 13-15 special 2017 Assembly in Winnipeg: http://www.cvent.com/d/c5q8ft
- Featured prayer request from the wider church (to receive regular prayer requests, subscribe to PrayerNet at: www.commonword.ca/ResourceView/59/7507):
- Ramadan, a month of prayerful fasting celebrated by Muslims, began at sundown on May 26. Pray for Mennonites serving in Muslim communities in Canada and abroad, and ask God how you can reach out to your Muslim neighbors.
MC Manitoba Church Bulletin Announcements
- Camps with Meaning still has spaces for campers of all ages at Camp Assiniboia, Camp Moose Lake, and Camp Koinonia this summer! For more info visit www.campswithmeaning.org/summer/campers/schedule-and-rates/
- Celebrating 150? Join us for a pre-party event “146: Pathways to Treaty Relations” on June 25th at Lower Fort Garry. Treaty 1, which was signed 146 years ago at Lower Fort Garry, is an invitation to share the land for the benefit of all living things. Come learn about how this sacred commitment can breathe new life into our relationships with one another and the world around us. Workshops from 1-4 pm at Lower Fort Garry and a bagged picnic lunch from 4-6 pm at Little Britain United Church (just a short walk down the road). For more information go to www.treatypathways.com or call Dorothy Fontaine (204) 896-1616.
Canadian Mennonite University Events and Opportunities for Church Bulletins
1. Stay connected with CMU, Folio Café and the CommonWord Bookstore and Resource Centre - one location where you may buy, borrow, download, consult and link to Anabaptist and related materials! Visit www.commonword.ca and come visit us! Bring a friend and this bulletin to get 25% off coffee or gelato at Folio Café!
2. You are invited to join us for the 16th Annual CMU Golf Classic, Tuesday, June 20 at the Kingswood Golf and Country Club in La Salle, MB. Reservations are limited so rsvp early by calling Joyce Friesen 204-594-0517.
3. Do you know a young person eager for adventure, learning, travel and friendship - all while exploring a life of following Jesus? Outtatown still has space available for 2017-2018! Visit outtatown.com to learn more and apply.
4. From June 12-16 and 19-23 over 150 students from Canada and around the globe (including Somalia, Iraq, Bangladesh, Ukraine, Ethiopia, Jordan, Iran, Argentina…) will be enrolled in one-week peace building courses as part of CMU’s Canadian School of Peacebuilding. In our world’s present political climate their commitment to peace-building is more critical than ever. Please hold them in your prayers.
5. Register now for the Summer Voice Academy July 18-22, a program of CMU’s Community School of Music and the Arts. Visit cmu.ca/csma or call 204-837-4870 for more information.
6. Online registration is open for CMU Blazers Summer Sports Camps 2017! See
cmu.ca/sportscamps or phone 204-487-3300.
MCC Manitoba Bulletin Announcements for June 4, 2017
Famine Relief - The UN recently said the world is facing the worst humanitarian crisis since World War II, and in response, the Canadian government has announced the creation of a Famine Relief Fund. For every $1 donated to MCC for famine relief, $1 will go into the government’s fund for later distribution. Support famine relief efforts today! Call us at 1(888)622-6337 or visit http://mccmb.ca/famine.
MCC Manitoba Annual General Meeting - Join us at Emmanuel Mennonite Church this Thursday, June 8 at 7 pm. You will hear a keynote address and personal reflection on trauma and resilience in migration, plus important updates on the work and growth of MCC Manitoba. For more information and to register delegates, visit http://mccmb.ca/agm or contact Nikki Hamm at 204-261-6381 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Special Event: Discovery: A Comic Lament
June 28, 2017, 7:30 pm, 318 Home Street, Winnipeg
You are invited to 'Discovery: A Comic Lament,' a new play about the Doctrine of Discovery performed by Ted & Co. Tickets are $7 each or $5 for three or more, available by contacting KerrySanerHarvey@mccmb.ca or online at www.butterflyjourneys.webs.com.
Cycle Clear Lake - Calling all cyclists! Come out to Riding Mountain National Park for a beautiful trail ride in support of MCC’s education work in Haiti on Saturday, July 1. Registration deadline is June 13. For more information and to register online visit http://mccmb.ca/cycleclearlake or phone Reinhold at 204-729-8335.
MCC Manitoba Golf Tournament
July 12, 2017, 10 River Road, Starbuck
Join us at Bridges Golf Course for our 15th annual golf tournament in support of MCC's local work with vulnerable youth. For more information and to register, visit http://mccmb.ca/golf or call 204-261-6381. Register by June 12 to meet our early bird deadline.