WELCOME TO OUR WORSHIP SERVICE
August 20, 2017 – 10:45 a.m.
Theme: “Passing on the Faith”
GATHERING AS GOD'S PEOPLE
Welcome and Lamp Lighting
We light a light in the name of the God who creates life, the Son who loves life, and the Spirit who is the fire of life. Thanks be to God who unites us in our faith, hope, and life.
Call to Worship and Prayer
HWB 46 I sing the mighty Power of God
STJ 27 God of the Bible
Scripture reading: Psalm 139:1-12
Offering and Prayer
PROCLAIMING GOD'S WORD
HWB 143 Amazing Grace
Scripture Reading: 2 Corinthians 4:6-11
Sermon: “Through the Cracks”
RESPONDING TO GOD'S WORD
Song of Response
STJ 54 Longing for Light
Congregational Life and Sharing
SENDING GOD’S PEOPLE
Song of Sending
STJ 14 Lord Jesus, you shall be my song
Worship Leader ~ Val Peters
Sermon ~ Lee Hiebert
Children's Story ~ Rachel Hiebert
Song Leaders ~Rudy & Henriette Schellenberg, June Snider, Henry Dueck
Organist/Pianist ~ Margarete Dyck
Sound ~ Rudy Nikkel
PRAYER & PRAISE
Please pray for:
· Hildegard Adrian and Corny Nikkel in Bethesda Hospital
· Pastor Randy (Springstein Mennonite) and a team of 23 youth and young adults who will be teaching DVBS in Manigotagan this week (Aug. 21-27).
· Pray for our Missionaries:
Rachel Klassen – Germany
Fredy & Rowena Hiebert - Bolivia
God’s blessing on Peter Block who will celebrate his birthday on Aug. 26th.
CHURCH FAMILY INFORMATION
An invitation from our new pastor. “I am delighted by all the folks that have stopped by the office. I want to extend an invitation to everyone in the congregation to stop by the church for a coffee or just to say hello. If you can't make it out to the church during the week, don't worry, my hope is to contact each family over the next year to set up more intentional visits. I am looking forward to getting to know all of us.”
MC Canada Assembly Registration is open! You are invited to the Oct. 13-15 special 2017 Assembly in Wpg. Please contact Pastor Lee or the church office by Sept. 1st if you’d like to be a delegate.
There is a 75th anniversary display in the Multipurpose Room.
Gym Comm. Contact: Isbrand Fehr
Aug. 13 - 19, 2017 – Our giving: Budget: $ 5210.10 MCC: $200.00
SMC THIS WEEK
Today, 2:00 – 4:00 p.m. Family Volleyball
6:00 pm Arkbuilders meet in kitchenette for a potluck dessert and coffee. Speakers Lee & Rachel Hiebert
Mon. Aug. 21, 6:45 p.m. Men’s Volleyball
Tues. Aug. 22, 7:00 p.m. Women’s Volleyball
Aug. 28, 7:00 p.m. SMC 75th Anniversary Celebration Committee Meeting in MPR
Conference & Community
Aug. 21, 5:30 p.m. MCC Thrift Shop and Ten Thousand Villages Volunteer Appreciation Barbecue will be held at AD Penner park. Please bring your spouse or a friend.
Sept. 16, 7:00 p.m. Grace Mennonite Church is hosting a fundraising concert with Alana Levandoski. See poster for details.
Manigotagan Team - August 21-27/2017
Annie Buchholz Justin Gallego
Hannah Friesen Adrian Giesbrecht
Krista Froese Adrian Giesbrecht
Michelle Kessler Sage Funk
Brianne Nordstrom Josiah Reimer
Anessa Reimer Ryan Schroeder
Patricia Funk Bryan Giesbrecht
Claudia Giesbrecht Joel Neufeldt
Ashley Reimer Jessy Sawatzky
Leader: Randy Hildebrand
SMC VISION STATEMENT
Steinbach Mennonite Church is faithfully following Christ in worship and service by making disciples, building community and reaching out to the world.
Canadian Mennonite University Events and Opportunities for Church Bulletins
1. There is still time to apply to Canadian Mennonite University for 2017-2018 whether you want to take one course or start a degree. Applications accepted until September 1. Evening courses are available for audit or credit even for those not enrolled full time. Visit cmu.ca/apply or cmu.ca/timetable for details. Your prayers are welcome as a new academic year approaches!
2. The CommonWord Bookstore and Resource Centre in CMU’s Marpeck Commons, serves the church and community in vital ways. CommonWord is presently seeking volunteers with interest in working in this dynamic retail environment. For details about this opportunity please contact Arlyn at 204-594-0527 ext. 333.
3. Register now for fall music lessons and classes beginning on September 11 at the Community School of Music & the Arts (a program of Canadian Mennonite University). You will want to check out the various options available for individual and group lessons! Visit www.cmu.ca/csma or call 204-837-4870.
MCC Manitoba Bulletin Announcements for August 20, 2017
August 20, 2017, 2:30 pm, Bethel Heritage Park, Winkler
Join us today for a gathering of Low German speaking Mennonites emigrating from Latin America. The event will include guest speaker Hein Rempel, music by Esteban Peters and children’s activities. Bring something to share for the potluck faspa, come and knack some zöt with us!
Host needed - MCC Manitoba is seeking a host for one male participant in IVEP (International Volunteer Exchange Program) for an 11 month period beginning in September. We are seeking a host in Fort Garry, South or Central Winnipeg, with good access to bus routes. For more information, visit http://mccmb.ca/ivep and contact Katie Froese at firstname.lastname@example.org or 204-925-1929.
MCC Manitoba Student Awards - Apply by September 30 if you're interested in work that aligns with MCC’s areas of focus (like peace, restorative justice, human rights, servant leadership and sustainable development). For more information and to apply, visit http://mccmb.ca/studentawards
MC Manitoba Announcements
Mennonite Church Manitoba is accepting applications for the position of Associate Program Director of Camping Ministries (APD). The APD oversees all aspects of our summer and winter programs and provides on-going support and training to all summer program staff and volunteers. This is a 1.0 fte position. The application deadline is September 21, 2017. For more information please visit our “News” page at www.campswithmeaning.org.