WELCOME TO OUR WORSHIP SERVICE
September 17, 2017 – 10:45 a.m.
GATHERING AS GOD'S PEOPLE
Welcome and Lamp Lighting
We light a light in the name of the God who creates life, the Son who loves life, and the Spirit who is the fire of life. Thanks be to God who unites us in our faith, hope, and life.
Call to Worship and Prayer
HWB 89 For the beauty of the earth
HWB 90 For the fruit of all creation
Scripture reading: Exodus 14:19-31
Prayer and Offering
PROCLAIMING GOD'S WORD
HWB 76 Praise, I will praise you Lord
Scripture Reading: Matthew 18:21-35
Sermon: “Eye’s Wide Shut”
RESPONDING TO GOD'S WORD
Song of Response
HWB 383 God, whose giving
Presentation of Grade Two Bibles
Congregational Life and Sharing
SENDING GOD’S PEOPLE
Song of Sending
HWB 367 For the healing of the nations
Worship Leader ~ Eric Rempel
Sermon ~ Lee Hiebert
Children's Story ~ W. Jacob Siemens
Song Leaders ~ Rudy & Henriette Schellenberg, June Snider
Sound ~ Gerry Sapinsky
Head Usher ~ Levi Hiebert
PRAYER & PRAISE
Please pray for:
· Hildegard Adrian in Bethesda Hospital
· Pray for our Missionaries:
Rachel Klassen – Germany
Fredy & Rowena Hiebert - Bolivia
CHURCH FAMILY INFORMATION
Sunday School for all ages begins Sept. 17th at 9:30 a.m. All children meet in the kitchenette. Youth please meet in the new lounge (off kitchenette). 20’s & 30’s meet in the office at the end of the hall (Room 115). Adults will gather in the MPR.
We will need various volunteers to help in the kitchen and gym for our 75th Anniversary Weekend. A sign-up sheet is at the Welcome Centre. Please sign up where you can help.
Many people have willingly stepped into various roles during this time of transition at SMC. We would like to thank the following volunteers.
- Scott Friesen, Elroy Peters, Matt Wieler and Lee Hiebert who moved heavy items between the floors
- Sue & Rudy Nikkel who patched and painted two Sunday School rooms
- Mary Anne Hildebrand and Helga Froese who are reorganising the Sunday School office
- Cheryl Esau, Sally Steingart and Anne Gunther who created anniversary banners
Gym Comm. Contact: Isbrand Fehr
Sept. 10 - 16, 2017 – Our giving:
Budget: $ 6,069.95 MC Manitoba: $ 100.00 Refugee Fund: $ 100.00
SMC THIS WEEK
Today, 2:00 – 4:00 p.m. Family Volleyball
Mon. Sept. 18 6:30 p.m. Steinbach Mennonite Handbelles practice in kitchenette
6:45 p.m. Men’s Volleyball
Tues. Sept. 19, 7:00 p.m. Women’s Volleyball
6:30 p.m. Sunbeams Salad Potluck in kitchenette. All ladies welcome.
Sept. 24, 9:45 – 10:15 a.m., and Wed., Sept. 27, 7:00 – 8:30 p.m., Choir Rehearsal in preparation for the Oct. 1 Anniversary Worship Service. All singers are invited!
Sept. 25, 6:30 p.m. Steinbach Mennonite Handbelles practice in kitchenette
Sept. 26, 7:00 p.m. SMC 75th Anniversary Committee Meeting in MPR
Sept. 30, 5:00 p.m. Homecoming Choir Practice
7:00 p.m. Stories & Songs
Oct. 1, 10:00 a.m. Anniversary Worship Service
12:00 p.m. Thanksgiving Dinner. Please bring a large salad and large pie (or 2 small ones). Chicken and potatoes will be provided.
9:30 a.m. Sunday School for all ages
- Children meet in the kitchenette
- Youth meet in lounge (off the kitchenette)
- 20’s & 30’s meet in Room 115 (office at the end of the hall)
- Adults in MPR
COMMUNITY & CONFERENCE ANNOUNCEMENTS
Oct. 1, 7:00 p.m. Vespers Service at MHV.
SMC VISION STATEMENT
Steinbach Mennonite Church is faithfully following Christ in worship and service by making disciples, building community and reaching out to the world.
Steinbach Bible College is hosting its annual Fundraising Faspa & ‘Saengerfest’ on Sunday, Oct. 1 at 4:00pm at SBC. In partnership with the Manitoba Scholarships and Bursaries Initiative (MSBI), Manitoba will contribute one dollar for every two dollars raised (1:2) by SBC for bursaries and scholarships. To reserve your free seat call 204-326-6451 or email Lynette at email@example.com.
MC Canada Bulletin Announcements for Sunday – September 17, 2017
· Assembly registration deadline today! (Sunday, September 17): Register online for the Special Delegate Assembly 2017 (Oct. 13-15, Wpg.) at http://home.mennonitechurch.ca/winnipeg2017. Discernment Documents are available at www.futuredirectionsmc.ca. These documents share important background and proposals that impact congregations, our five Area Churches and MC Canada.
· How is your congregation adapting to changes in society? Culture shifts are opportunities for congregations to transform themselves and adjust to new realities. Download the short Covenant New Conversation Starter to stimulate your thinking: http://home.mennonitechurch.ca/winnipeg2017
· Assembly registration deadline today! (Sunday, September 17): We need your voices! Youth are wanted at the 2017 Special Delegate Assembly, held in Winnipeg from October 13-15. Emerging Voices Initiative (EVI) is partnering with Mennonite Church Canada to invite financial support available to any high school age youth interested in attending the gathering, with no need to apply. EVI will also be providing youth programming related to the Future Directions process. For more information and to donate, visit https://donate.mennonitechurch.ca/project/EVI-Youth2017.
· Volunteers needed! Mennonite Church Canada is seeking volunteers for the 2017 Special Delegate Gathering held in Winnipeg from October 13-15. Interested potential volunteers please email firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information on this gathering, visit http://home.mennonitechurch.ca/winnipeg2017.
· The CommonWord Bookstore and Resource Centre in CMU’s Marpeck Commons, serves the church and community in vital ways. CommonWord is presently seeking volunteers with interest in working in this dynamic retail environment. For details about this opportunity please contact Arlyn at 204-594-0527 ext. 333.
· Peace Days in Winnipeg : A Festival of Peace and Compassion will be taking place at various Winnipeg locations from September 15-24. One of these events is the Meditation for Peace - “Come gather with friends and be a piece of peace in our multifaith meditation in the ruins of St. Boniface Cathedral on September 18, at 7:30 pm. Help us Build Positive Peace.” http://www.peacedays.ca/index.html
· Celebrate the 17 Teams that have registered for Ride for Refuge Team on Saturday, Sept. 30! Join a team and/or sponsor a team or participant and support the mission ministry of Witness in Canada and around the world! Register at https://rideforrefuge.org/charity/mennonitechurchca or contact Jason Martin at email@example.com or (226) 747-1833.
· Featured prayer request from the wider church (to receive regular prayer requests, subscribe to PrayerNet at: www.commonword.ca/ResourceView/59/7507):
· A rolling fast for Indigenous Rights began on September 13, 2017 to raise awareness and support for Bill C-262 - legislation that will begin harmonizing Canada’s laws with the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples. Pray for strength for the fasters as they walk with Indigenous peoples in our journey toward reconciliation. Find out how you can participate at http://pfir.ca/fast-for-indigenous-human-rights/ .
Canadian Mennonite University Events and Opportunities for Church Bulletins
1. CMU friends and alumni – Join us on Friday, September 22 at 7:00 PM in the Laudamus Auditorium for an evening of stories, choral music, and a blessing for the academic year. Celebrate the alumni stories of Ken Esau (MBBC ‘83), John Longhurst (MBBC ‘79), Joanne Thiessen Martens (CMBC ‘96), and Henry Neufeld (CMBC ’52). A reception will follow. Class Reunions, Menno Cross Cycle-cross races for all ages, Farmer’s Market, BBQ lunch, and MPK Folk Festival all take place on Saturday. See cmu.ca/fallatcmu for full details.
- Are you 55 or older? Are you stimulated by teaching and conversation on issues that matter to the Christian faith, our world, and life in it? Join many others for CMU’s Xplore (an Enrichment program for seniors) with fall options in Winkler on Ephesians; reflecting on the Church in southern Manitoba; clothing the ‘naked Anabaptist’; and exploring a vision for the church in the book of Deuteronomy. Go to cmu.ca/xplore for information.
3. Support the MHC Gallery, a Gallery of CMU, by attending the MHC Gallery Annual Fundraiser, with guest speaker ‘Segun Olude, performer Bola Roiyomie, and gallery update by Ray Dirks. The event will be held Friday, September 29 at 7:30 PM. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org or 204-487-3300 ext 344. More information at cmu.ca/gallery. Also, plan to attend the opening of Yoruba art, culture, and Christian faith featured in the exhibition Colourful Faith by 'Segun Olude and Gibril Bangura on Sunday, September 24 at 2:30 PM and running until Nov 18 at the MHC Gallery.
4. Grow your leadership at the workshop Better Decisions, Engaged Congregations: Facilitating Effective Decision-Making. This first of three Workshops for Pastors and Ministry and Congregational Leaders will be presented by Vonda Plett (PhD), President of Bricolage Leadership Development, from 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM on Saturday, September 30 in the CMU Conference Room. For more information see cmu.ca/cfl.
MCC Manitoba Bulletin Announcements for September 17, 2017
MCC responds to Hurricane Irma - Hurricane Irma tore roofs from houses in Cuba and dashed houses to the ground. In Haiti, Irma's rain turned into flash floods that rushed into houses and caused families to escape in waist-high water. In both countries, crops, gardens and livestock were destroyed. Your gift to MCC helps people in Cuba and Haiti rebuild and recover. Donate online at mcccanada.ca/hurricane-irma or phone 1-888-622-6337.
Manitoba Launch: A Cry for Home - This fall, MCC invites you to listen to the stories of Palestinians and Israelis and hear their cry — A Cry for Home. Join us for the Manitoba launch at Sam's Place, 159 Henderson Hwy, on September 21 at 7 pm. For more information visit mccmb.ca/manitoba-launch-cry-for-home
Brandon MCC Relief Sale - Join us on Saturday, September 23 for the 33rd annual Brandon MCC Relief Sale at the Keystone Centre. For more information visit mccmb.ca/brandon-relief-sale and save the date!
Special Event: Southern Africa Stories
September 27, 2017, 7 pm, 159 Henderson Hwy, Winnipeg
Join James and Joan Alty, Area Directors for Southern Africa, to hear stories of hope from the fields, homes and schools where MCC is working with local partners.
Portage MCC Furniture Plus welcomes applications for Furniture Plus Manager. For more information and application instructions, please visit mcccanada.ca/get-involved/serve/openings/furniture-plus-manager. Applications are accepted until September 25.
Walk the Talk on Saturday, Sept. 23. Come join your voice in the call for the federal government to Walk the Talk of reconciliation! Events begin with a walk at 1PM from Stephen Juba Park @ the Aqueduct Monument (south of 333 Waterfront Dr.) and will conclude at 6:30 PM at the National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation (177 Dysart Rd) where the main gathering with stories and music will take place at 6:30 PM. Learn more at www.adoptandimplement.com (Events section).