WELCOME TO OUR WORSHIP SERVICE
Second Advent “Let it be so” December 10, 2017 – 10:45 a.m.
Focus Statement: We long to be comforted, we long for change. Moving from uncertainty and fear, we call upon God to make things ready -- the mountains leveled, the paths made straight, our hearts prepared.
GATHERING AS GOD'S PEOPLE
Welcome and Call to Worship
Leader: Awake! The invitation to carry light comes from the voice who cries out for a smooth way through wild places.
All: O God, your call is uncomfortable. How can we who are weak remove the rough and rugged places?
(Pause for silence)
Leader: Calm our questioning souls.
All: Lead us into you presence so all can see your way.
Leader: Let it be so.
Lighting of the Advent Candle: Nathan & Kassandra Klassen
HWB 172 O come, O come, Immanuel
STS 8 Wild and lone the prophet’s voice
Scripture Reading: Isaiah 40:1-11 – Nathan Klassen
Prayer and Offering
PROCLAIMING GOD'S WORD
Children's Story – Bev Unger
STS 124 My soul cries out
Scripture Reading: Mark 1:1-8 – Kassandra Klassen
Sermon: “Life’s pain is long and hard, but…” – Daryl Climenhaga
RESPONDING TO GOD'S WORD
Congregational Song of Response
HWB 183 On Jordan’s banks the Baptists cry
Congregational Life and Sharing
SENDING GOD’S PEOPLE
Song of Sending
HWB 211 Lo, how a Rose e’er blooming
Worship Leader ~ Lee Hiebert
Song Leaders ~ Scott & Kendra Friesen, Toni & Kayla Hiebert
Organist / Pianist ~ Margaret Dyck
PRAYER & PRAISE
Please pray for:
· Hildegard Adrian who has moved into Bethesda Place
· Judy Lafournaise who continues to struggle with health issues
· Peter Koop and family as Peter has recently been diagnosed with cancer.
· Sue Nikkel and family who continue to live with her cancer diagnosis.
CHURCH FAMILY INFORMATION
This morning the Steinbach Mennonite Handbelles are representing our congregation by serving in the worship service at Steinbach United Church.
Winter Warmth Project: Please pick up a list of items needed for the Nutrition Program at the Welcome Centre. A table has been set up in the foyer where donations can be dropped off. All perishable items will be brought upstairs by an SCO volunteer and placed in our cooler.
Following our Christmas morning service, we are planning a Christmas Dinner. There is a sign-up sheet at the Welcome Centre for those who wish to come and are willing to bring salads or desserts for the meal or are willing to help serve or clean up.
Gym Comm. Contact: Isbrand Fehr
SUNDAY SCHOOL for all ages
9:30 a.m. Sunday School for all ages
· Children meet in the kitchenette
· Youth meet in lounge (off the kitchenette)
· 20’s & 30’s meet at Coffee Culture
· Adults in MPR
SMC THIS WEEK
Today, 2:00 – 4:00 p.m. Family Volleyball
7:00 pm: O come, Immanuel-a service of Advent music with Lin Wiebe, organist, Willie Wiebe, guitar and Rudy Schellenberg, song leader.
Mon. Dec. 11, 6:45 p.m. Men’s Volleyball
Steinbach Mennonite Handbelles will share Christmas music with the residents of Rest Haven Nursing Home (6:15 - 7:00 p.m.) and Woodhaven Manor (7:15 - 8:00 p.m.)
Wed. Dec. 13, 7:00 p.m. 7:00 – 8:15 p.m. Christmas Choir Rehearsal in MPR. All interested singers invited to join in preparation for the Dec. 24th morning service.
On Dec. 17, we will be celebrating communion as part of our Sunday morning service. We invite you to spend the next few weeks in anticipation and preparation.
Dec. 19, Friendship Seekers and friends will be having a caroling event. Meet at Bethesda Place at 6:15 pm. Refreshments will follow at the Sapinsky’s.
Dec. 20, 7:00 – 8:15 p.m. Christmas Choir Rehearsal in the sanctuary.
Dec. 24, 7:00 p.m. The Pathway of Promise: an Intergenerational Christmas Celebration
Dec. 25, 10:45 a.m. Service of Lessons and Carols
12:00 p.m. Christmas Dinner. Sign up at Welcome Centre.
Dec.3 - 9 , 2017 - Our Giving:
Budget $12,314.00 Refugee: $100.00
COMMUNITY & CONFERENCE ANNOUNCEMENTS
Dec. 12, 8:00 p.m. Steve Bell & the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra Christmas Concert at the Centennial Concert Hall. See poster for details.
Faith and Life Choir Christmas Concerts, “The Glory of the Lord”, on Saturday, Dec. 16, 2017, 7:00 p.m. at Springfield Heights Mennonite Church, Winnipeg, and Sunday, Dec. 17, 2017, 3:00 p.m. at Altona Bergthaler Mennonite Church, Altona.
Dec. 21, 7:30 p.m. Mennonite Collegiate Institute invites you to attend the Christmas Concert Buhler Hall, Gretna.
SMC VISION STATEMENT
Steinbach Mennonite Church is faithfully following Christ in worship and service by making disciples, building community and reaching out to the world.
MC Manitoba Update
Update from Rick Neufeld (Director of Leadership Ministries)
Both Ken and I (Rick) spent last week meeting with colleagues of our bi-national denomination. This is an annual gathering of MC USA and MC Canada area church leaders who have been called to serve in the continual effort of strengthening, resourcing and equipping the wider Mennonite Church.
Our agenda is always full but it is also interspersed with times of worship, reflection and prayer as being key centering pieces throughout our days together. During times of discussion and discernment we listen to one another and we share deeply from a personal love for the Church. When concerns are raised from one particular area church leader it is met with another who may add their own concern or understanding on that question or topic. Together we seek to identify the spiritual, social, and financial trends that seem to be pressing in on the church today. Together we are the Church! We find reason to celebrate but also lament the changes that are happening throughout our variety of contexts and churches.
In times like these, I am so grateful for the Mennonite Church which recognizes the changes taking place around and within us, and I’m equally excited to share in a renewed hope for the church that seeks to place its trust in God as our source of salvation, strength and hope for the future.
MC Manitoba Announcements
Faith and Life Choir Christmas Concerts, “The Glory of the Lord”, on Saturday, December 16, 2017, 7 p.m. at Springfield Heights Mennonite Church, Winnipeg, and Sunday, December 17, 2017, 3 p.m. at Altona Bergthaler Mennonite Church, Altona.
Purchase gift certificates towards the payment of 2018 summer camp. A great way to encourage children (grandchildren?) to attend Camps with Meaning! Please contact the camp office for more information. Call 204-895-2267, email firstname.lastname@example.org
MCC Manitoba welcomes applications for Associate Editor-Die Mennonitische Post. The associate editor is responsible to assist with all aspects of the production of the bi-weekly newspaper, the Mennonitische Post, under the direction and supervision of the managing editor. Applications are accepted until December 20. For more information and to apply, please visit mcccanada.ca/get-involved/serve/openings/associate-editor-die-mennonitische-post.
MCC Canada welcomes applications for Director of Fundraising & Communications based in Winnipeg. Applications are accepted until December 22. For more information and to apply, please visit mcccanada.ca/director-fundraising-communications.
SALT - If you're interested in a year long cross-cultural internship or work experience in a faith-based context, consider applying for SALT 2017-18! We're looking for communicators, educators, French or Spanish speakers, development grads, peacebuilders, nurses, IT experts, social workers, and more. Young adults ages 18-30, apply today at mccmb.ca/salt
Gain peacebuilding skills for today and tomorrow. Prepare for work and scholarship at the cross-section of theology and transformative peacebuilding through Anabaptist Mennonite Biblical Seminary’s Master of Arts: Theology and Peace Studies. Concentrations: Conflict Transformation, International Development Administration, Environmental Sustainability Leadership. www.ambs.edu/academics/ma-peace-studies
Open positions at AMBS. Anabaptist Mennonite Biblical Seminary, Elkhart, Indiana, is hiring a full-time professor of Biblical Studies and a full-time Vice President and Academic Dean. Both positions start July 1, 2018. See complete job descriptions: www.ambs.edu/jobs
This coming February the MDS All-Unit Meeting (AUM) will be hosted in Winkler, MB from February 9-10, 2018. The AUM is a wonderful time of gathering together to hear and share the stories of MDS from the past year. Registration is open and people can either register online on our website or by sending in the paper registration form.
Canadian Mennonite University cmu.ca
1. Consider enrolling in a 2nd semester CMU evening course for credit or audit. Choose from a range of options including: Principles and Paradigms of Youth Ministry; Who is Jesus?; Fundamentals of Marketing; Organizational Leadership; Advanced Journalism; History of North American Conservatism; Study of Voluntary Simplicity; The Art of Peacebuilding…and many more. Seniors and alumni audit fees available. Go to cmu.ca/timetable for details.
2. Thinking about a unique option for after high school? Outtatown is a unique, one or two-semester certificate program of CMU. It’s an incredible year for recent high school grads looking to travel, serve others, learn more about God and the world, make lifelong friends, and experience ‘once-in-a-lifetime’ adventure. Limited space is available so apply today! For more info: Outtatown.com.
3. Come to CMU Christmas Vespers on Sunday, December 17 at 7:00 PM in the Laudamus Auditorium. Leona Hildebrand will lead the choir and Cheryl Pauls will be the reader. A reception will follow. See cmu.ca/vespers.
4. Pray for CMU students as they write exams to complete their Fall Semester courses.
5. CMU’s Sunday@CMU radio program is featuring Dr. Andrew Dyck, Assistant Professor of Ministry Studies, on the theme of Advent, Jesus Christ’s second coming, and what it means to live as a faithful Christian. Sunday@CMU airs Sunday mornings at 8:30-8:45 AM on CFAM 950 Radio and AM 1250 Radio and online at tinyurl.com/Sunday-CMU.
6. Give the gift of the arts this Holiday season. CMU’s Community School of Music & the Arts still has a few openings for Individual lessons in various instruments. Or register now for classes starting in January including: Art for Kids, Adult Drawing and Painting, Teen Painting, and Music for Littler Kids. Visit cmu.ca/csma or call 204.837.4870 for more information.
7. CMU invites applications for the position of Controller. Contact Dianna Robson, Director of Human Resources at email@example.com or 204-594-0532.